Luray an easy drive from the D.C. Metro area. Our hotel is just minutes from Shenandoah National Park, which features spectacular views of the Blue Ridge Mountains from the scenic Skyline Drive Shenandoah River features excellent fishing and canoeing opportunities, and Lake Arrowhead has a pristine beach and is a beautiful spot to fish, or relax with a picnic. You can enjoy some time visiting farms and farmer’s market as well as visit many local attractions such as “world famous” Luray Caverns, and the Luray Zoo.
If you are looking for adventure, explore more than five miles of underground cave and rock formations at Endless Caverns, which is also home to a fossilized wooly mammoth tooth. New Market Battlefield is a must see if you are a history buff.
Here is some information to help you plan your trip to the Valley as well as links to local sites.
- Shenandoah National Park: Thornton Gap Entrance:Enjoy hiking, stunning vistas, ranger-guided tours, and more in Virginia’s “Mountain Playground.”
Visitor Center at Shenandoah National Park
- George Washington and Jefferson National Forests: 1.8 million acre offer scenic drives, hiking & biking, swimming, boating horseback riding and other activities
- Luray Caverns: Virginia’s largest lighted caverns and most popular caverns in the East. See the antique transportation collection at the Car and Carriage Caravan.
- Lake Arrowhead: freshwater lake and recreation area operated by the town of Luray. Fishing, swimming, sand beach, picnicking and nature trail
- Downtown Luray: Theater, restaurants, antiques and craft shops.
- Luray Zoo: has Virginia’s largest live reptile collection and a great petting zoo. It is known for being a rescue zoo.
- Guided horseback trail rides at several locations.
- Historical Buildings & Tours: the Mauck Meeting House, the White House Bridge, Calendine, Massanutten School and Hamburg Country Store.
- Civil War History: New Market Battlefield: Hall of Valor Museum
- Shenandoah River: Canoe, tube, fish and swim in this scenic river.
- Meems Bottom Bridge:the longest covered bridge of nine in Virginia and the only one left in the Shenandoah
Galleries & Shops in LurayNorth of Route 11 on the way to Mt. Jackson. Shenandoah Caverns is near the bridge.
- Shenandoah River: From April through mid-November you can enjoy canoe, kayak and tube rentals at various outfitters.
- Golfing: is available in several locations nearby.
- Wineries: There are many wineries in our area, all within a 45 minute drive on the Blue Ridge Wineway. In Luray itself is the Wisteria Farm & Vineyard in nearby Stanley.
There are a variety of restaurants near our hotel. Grab a tasty slice at Anthony’s Pizza. Or head to Dans Steak House, East Wok Chinese, and Brookside Restaurant are all nearby. Go to Mindi’s Mexican Restaurant or Rancho Viejo for spicy fare or grab a quick bite at Dominos, Hardees, Pizza Hut or Subway.
Visit websites here:
Beach at Lake Arrowhead
Canoe, Kayak & Tube Rentals
Festivals & Fairs
Wine Tasting-Festival of Spring
- Green Valley Book Fair: discount book outlet store featuring over 500,000 new books at incredible bargain prices.
- Page County Heritage Festival in Luray held each October during the Columbus Day weekend
- Elkton, VA Fall Festival (Oct.): Apple butter making, arts and crafts, music and entertainment, pony and hay rides, food, big yard sale at the ball field.
- Festival of Spring: Annual spring festival on Main Street in Luray Saturday before Mother’s Day
- 4th of July Funfest: July 4 along the Hawksbill Greenway, fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
- Stanley’s Homecoming: June/July Enjoy music, carnival, beauty contest, parade and fireworks in the town of Stanley; adjacent to Luray.
Other Helpful Links